Thursday, March 10, 2016

Japan - Niseko

A 3h bus trip from Sapporo brought us to the ski village of Hirafu in Niseko. We checked in to the gorgeous Freshwater apartment where the view of the powdery snow is spectacular.

Japan - Niseko

Japan - Niseko

Japan - Niseko

Japan - Niseko

We picked up our ski gear (mine was pinstripe yellow and green) and got ready for our first lesson on the family slope. Our ski instructor (James a.k.a Tyrone) took us through the basics, so while Kyle and Andrew were bored, I was busy being terrified out of my frozen mind. It was so hard! But we were all pretty damn good so after a quick intro we headed up the chair lift. The chair lift was even more petrifying, but I finally did get the hang of it. The shower after was miraculous, especially for my frozen butt.

I really enjoyed skiing, it's actually pretty similar to ice skating in the way you shift your weight to turn, but it's so much more scary because you're at the mercy of the slopes on the mountain. I think I've built up a bit of confidence so hopefully tomorrow some muscle memory will kick in and I'll be able to start strong.

Dinner at Bang Bang was our first Yakitori in Japan, yum! Also, the fruit here is amazing.

Japan - Niseko

Japan - Niseko

No comments: