Sunday, March 20, 2016

Japan - Kyoto

Kyoto is beautiful. Today we visited the Fushimi Inari shrine, the Kyomizudera temple (after getting lost in a beautiful cemetery), the Higashiyama district, Kodaiji, Kenninji, and the Gion district following  Japan Guide's half day tour.

Japan - Kyoto

Japan - Kyoto

Japan - Kyoto

Japan - Kyoto

Japan - Kyoto

Japan - Kyoto

 We saw some Geisha! And also did 35,000 steps according to my fitbit.

Japan - Kyoto

The serenity I felt during the temples and shrines was quickly lost while waiting in line for dinner at a restaurant in The Cube in the Kyoto table. I hate waiting! Apparently that makes me Australian. It was so totally worth the wait though.

Japan - Kyoto

Japan - Kyoto

Also something funny I forgot to mention yesterday was that when exiting Fuji-Q they give you a stamp for re-entry. When I first did this I was on my own after visiting Evangelion World after the rest had gone back to the hotel. I lined up, the lady gave me a stamp, and I noticed that there was nothing on my hand after she stamped it. I motioned to my hand and the lady just nodded indicating that she was aware that she had just stamped me with nothing, and we should all be OK with this. Amy later explained that the same thing happened to her but the lady had kindly demonstrated that it was in fact a UV stamp that would be revealed under a UV light wand.

The next day we all got stamped for re-entry after our monumental soaking in the morning, and when we re-entered, the guy at the gate waved over our hands with UV light and waved us in. However, Amy never got a stamp, Andrew and I had been to an onsen and had surely boiled off any substance on our hands, and Kyle presented the guy with the opposite hand on which he was stamped. None the less, the guy on the door seemed pleased with the results of UV scanning each of our hands. Conclusion: with some confidence you can get into Fuji-Q without paying by presenting your hand to the guy at the gate (but prepared to be slogged with ride fees and 3h lines once you're in).

Tomorrow, Sumo!

No comments: