Tuesday, August 29, 2017

New Zealand - Queenstown, Skiing at The Remarkables Day #2

Last night Andrew cooked an amazing dinner of New Zealand lamb, roast locally grown veggies, with New Zealand wine. It was exactly what we needed for the big day of skiing today.

Queenstown - The Rees Hotel

Queenstown - The Rees Hotel

Andrew and I did a couple of runs together (practice slope then Alta Green) before splitting of and doing our own thing up until lunch.

Queenstown - The Remarkables Day 2

Queenstown - The Remarkables Day 2

At first I was all out of confidence because the snow was really icy. But my confidence grew as the sun melted the snow and made it nice and soft so turns were actually possible without skidding. I listened to The National and did a bunch of the green runs over and over, and accidentally did a blue run in between Alta Green and Turquoise in my attempt to do Turquoise… I survived, just barely! It was really short, but full of rocks. It was the most intrepid run I've ever done.

Queenstown - The Remarkables

After lunch we did another couple of runs together (Turquoise and Casterway) then split up again to do runs at our own levels. This time I listened to Purity Ring and worked on getting confidence with speed between those two green runs, while Andrew went all over the place including Gotham and Alta Blue which looked insane.

Queenstown - The Remarkables Day 2

Queenstown - The Remarkables Day 2

When we got back to the hotel I thought I'd go to the gym to flush my legs out and do some arms and abs to balance the whole experience. I did my usual thing, then spent about 10 minutes on the vibrating machine which made me feel like I was walking on air. The best thing was lying sidewards on the thing and getting it to vibrate my ITB. I'm not sure if there'll be any lasting effects but it was a great massage and I feel much looser tonight at least!

Queenstown - The Rees Hotel Gym

Tomorrow we're doing some adventure stuff; Shotover Jet and Canyon. I will have to let my mum know straight away after so she knows I didn't die.

No comments: