Monday, August 28, 2017

New Zealand - Queenstown, Skiing at The Remarkables

After a full night of sleep (finally!) we caught the NZSki bus up the winding road to The Remarkables. Our ski gear was awesome, I'm so glad we splurged on our own jacket and pants.

Queenstown - The Remarkables

It comes back to you so quickly! We did a quick run on the practice slope before meeting Alex, our instructor for a lesson. We were quite lucky since there were only 3 of us, which is enough to run the lesson for 2h instead of 1h which happens if there's 2 or less people, but small enough so that we got a lot of one on one instruction. Andrew was amazing, and I wasn't too bad either. The instructor told me I was better than the other girl in our group who'd been skiing lots before, so that gave me a bit of confidence.

Queenstown - The Remarkables

Queenstown - The Remarkables

It's a gorgeous ski field with lots of different options. I don't think I'll get bored of the green runs and Andrew has heaps of blue runs to explore. The facilities are really nice too, with good options for lunch and drinks.

Queenstown - The Remarkables

Queenstown - The Remarkables

Queenstown - The Remarkables

Queenstown - The Remarkables

After lunch we headed back for the second half of the lesson which was only 1 hour because the 3rd girl in our group decided to drop down to level 3a (we were 3b). I was much less confident this time because we started some of the blue runs. I basically forgot to ski on account of the paralysing fear, so I bailed on the final run so Andrew and the instructor could fit in one more on a blue slope before the lesson was over. After the lesson we did one more green run and I got my confidence back, so it will be green for a while for me yet!

Queenstown - The Remarkables

Queenstown - The Remarkables

Queenstown - The Remarkables

Now we're back at the Rees Hotel enjoying the view (and a Garage Project Pills n Thrills beer), far out it's a good view (and beer)!

Queenstown - Rees Hotel

Queenstown - Rees Hotel

It was such a fun day, but my shins are killing me. It's so painful putting those ski boots on again after taking them off, and this is only the first day! Fingers crossed for good weather tomorrow.

No comments: