Monday, February 4, 2008

Big Day Out 2008

ScorcherYesterday was the Perth 2008 Big Day Out, and I'm still recovering from the best festival I've ever been to. The weather didn't let up, and it ended up getting to 37 degrees - and boy did everyone feel it. I straightened my hair before I left, and when I got home I had tight curls!

Matt and I were there to see Spoon, Arcade Fire, Bjork, and anything else on top of that was pretty much a bonus. We also ended up seeing Josh Pyke, Battles, Silverchair (well, heard Silverchair), and LCD Sound System (last 10 minutes).

SpoonSpoon was first up, on the Green stage, which was a small, out of the way venue. What we saw was really great, but we had to leave early to get to Arcade Fire in time. We had to leave during Don't Make Me a Target which was a real shame, but I'm just happy I was there for You Got Yr .Cherry Bomb.

Arcade FireArcade Fire was AMAZING, really just awesome. Because the band is so big (10 people I think?) and because they all play so many instruments, the show was really amazing to watch. At one point one of the drummers climbed the scaffolding and started playing up there. My highlights were Intervention, and Keep the Car Running. I didn't realise there were so many Arcade Fire fans, but everyone was singing along to almost all the songs (bar the French lyrics of course).

BjorkBjork stole the show with a crazy performance littered with bizarre costumes, lasers, and confetti. The crowd went nuts for her and you could tell that everyone around was a die hard Bjork fan. The whole set was great, and really, every song was a highlight, but I guess my pet favourite has always been All is Full of Love, which she sang so beautifully that everyone just went silent to listen to it.

So all in all it was the best festival I've ever been to, and the night ended in the best shower I've ever had, and lead into the worst day at work I've ever had. But of course you can't have one with the other.

No comments: